Basic Principles of Ophthalmic Surgery is an essential textbook for any ophthalmology resident or trainee and will help them build a solid core foundation of ophthalmic surgical knowledge. The new edition has been expanded to include discussion of requirements for medical training as specified by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and four new clinical chapters. Chapter highlights include key points, suggested reading, self-assessment questions, and more than 200 photographs and illustrations, plus four new videos (access via QR codes).
This book lays the foundation for the 80+ surgical procedures covered in the companion volume, Basic Techniques of Ophthalmic Surgery , Second Edition.
Evaluation and Preparation
* Patient Selection
* Preparation of the Patient
* Preparation of the Surgeon
* Informed Consent New chapter!
* Simulation in Surgical Training New chapter!
* The Importance of Ergonomics for Ophthalmologists
* The Operating Microscope and Surgical Loupes
* Surgical Instruments and Blades
* Suture Materials and Needles
* ACGME Requirements for Surgical Training New chapter!
* Aseptic and Sterile Techniques in the Operating Room
* Ophthalmic Anesthesia
* Suturing and Knot Tying
* Intraocular Fluids
* Patient Safety Issues
* Postoperative Management
* The Healing Process
* Ocular Pathology New chapter!
* Complications and Their Consequences New chapter!